Have you ever logged how much time you spend online and what you are doing with that time online? Try downloading an app or program such as PageAddict to track your Internet usage. You will be surprised to learn how much time you are wasting checking email, shopping online, and clicking on links. While it is understandable that we all need a little break from our work, the amount of time wasted can be cut back.
- See Do You Want to Gain Extra Hours Each Day? for more information.
Here are a few tips to get started:
- Get a clear picture of where you are wasting time. This can be by using a program or keeping notes of what websites you visit and the times.
- Schedule specific time to waste online. If you set time aside, you will be less tempted to slip over to Facebook or your favorite online store during the times you are supposed to be working.
- Trying to find your industry news while searching through a news feed is not the most effective method. Utilize sources that only provide industry news to keep you on track.
- Email and instant messaging can take over if you let them. You are constantly refreshing, waiting for new emails or messages to arrive instead of completing your work. Set specific times such as first thing in the morning, before lunch, and then one more time before bed to check emails and messages, unless your job requires you to check them more frequently.
Create Job Alert | Email to Friend |