- Stay Ahead of Your Colleagues - In business this is called niche. To advance quickly, find out something that you have great affinity for in your line of duty and perfect yourself in that one particular area. It should be such that when one would think about this specific area your name should come to the mind instantly. This will gain you visibility and single you out for advancement in your career.
- Have a 5 and 10 Year Career Plan - Where do you want to be 5 years from now? This is a question whose answer you should know by heart. Without a direction, without a roadmap you cannot go too far. Plan your career and you will know what you have to do to get there, once you have the destination points.
- The Shortest Road Up is Often Out - It is not necessary that the climb on the ladder be all in one company. Very often, moving out of the company to another could give you the right break to move up the ladder in your career. This is another very important reason why you need to need that career graph mapped out as early as possible.
- Totally Believe in Yourself - You can be whatever you want. Don't you ever forget that. As long as you put your mind to it, you really can be whatever you want. Hence, it does not matter if today you are underpaid, doing the wrong type of job, not appreciated, not discovered, etc. You know your best abilities - do not stop until you are happy with your job, your pay check and your direction. You are the captain of your ship and you can go anywhere you want.
- Reverse Engineering is Fun - You want to get that dream job, so why not start the other way around? Write down what salary and designation you want and then find out what it takes to actually get there. Set out to achieve it one step at a time. In no time you will find that your resume is looking just the way you want and the dream job will be yours. This is a great way to draw your road map and find inspiration to achieve your ultimate career target.
Create Job Alert | Email to Friend |