Employer Sponsored Job (Free to apply to)
Paralegal / Legal Assistant I (USAO)
The Gilchrist Law Firm
Duties and Responsibilities
• provide a variety of direct legal support assistance to the Criminal Division.
• Works with Assistant United States Attorneys (AUSAs), federal law enforcement officers, and support staff to prepare cases for litigation.
• Obtains records, documents, and evidence from federal law enforcement agencies and via the legal process.
• Reviews and analyzes case material to become familiar with the facts and circumstances of the case.
• Examines, prepares and processes a variety of legal documents which are characteristically voluminous and complex in nature.
• Maintains, manages, and organizes case material utilizing software, including databases, spreadsheets and word processing applications.
• Notes deficiencies in the uploading of case materials and missing materials, and undertakes inquiries to correct deficiencies.
• Works with litigation support to resolve any issues related to the intake, processing, and dissemination of discovery.
• Assists AUSAs in producing discovery to defense counsel.
• Organizes and coordinates discovery distribution, including indexes and production logs.
• Suggests and develops effective trial presentation of case materials.
• Prepares computerized trial presentation programs and demonstrative exhibits.
• Operates electronic systems and court presentation software during court proceedings.
• Provides assistance to AUSAs in trial preparation by independently compiling trial notebooks, preparing jury instructions, and drafting witness and exhibit lists
• Requires paralegal certificate, JD, or currently attending an ABA-accredited law school, having completed at least one year of study (One year of legal training or legal experience or at least two years of college education may be substituted for the paralegal certificate).
• Must have at least one year of litigation paralegal experience.
• Must have basic legal knowledge, including knowledge of standard legal citation to cite check legal motions and memorandum.
• Requires hands-on experience with legal research tools such as LEXIS and Westlaw to perform basic legal research.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, thorough knowledge and hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, databases (such as document review and file management systems), spreadsheets, imaging, and hardware systems are required.
• Requires familiarity with ESI tools and knowledge of eDiscovery procedures and resources.
• Must have the ability to consistently deliver highest quality work under extreme pressure will be very important.
• Ability to obtain and maintain government issued security clearance
• Must be comfortable working in person and in an office setting
• Prior trial experience and automated litigation experience very helpful but not required. Automated litigation support experience valued.
• Prior experience working with criminal law helpful.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $21.36 per hour
Last verified - 0 day(s) 23 hour(s) ago [What does Last Verified mean?]
The Gilchrist Law Firm is seeking a full-time or part-time law school students for an unpaid internship for Summer or Fall 2022. The Gilchrist Law Firm provides legal and professional services to commercial clients and U.S. federal, state and local government Agencies. The areas of practice include business law, real estate law and government contracts.