Employer Sponsored Job (Free to apply to)
Control Room Operator
Control Room Operator
Subject to DOT Regulations
The Control Room Operator (CRO) is responsible for monitoring the status of all plant systems on a continuous basis. The CRO responds to alarms by taking appropriate corrective actions and executes plant shut-down and start-up procedures as required. The CRO assures that the plant meets its generating requirements while operating in a safe and efficient manner.
• Report upset conditions or other anomalies in plant status to the Operations Manager or Lead Control Room Operator.
• Make entries in the Operating Log and approve and issue Tag-outs as required.
• Receive and respond to electrical, steam and fuel dispatcher's orders and requests.
• Operate control panels to regulate the load on the HRSG and turbines and to maintain proper steam temperature and pressure, feedwater and fuel supply and efficient combustion conditions.
• Perform emergency operations to maintain electric service and safeguard station equipment.
• Provide direction to Power Block Operators (PBO's) to effect changes in plant conditions and chemistry.
• Complete other tasks as requested by the Operations Manager.
• The CRO operates from established and well-known procedures under general directions and minimum supervision. Decisions are made within prescribed operating and casualty procedures and guidelines. The CRO encounters recurring work situations of high complexity, with occasional variations from the norm.
• The CRO has the authority to control the operation of the plant, and must do so in a safe manner resulting in no accidents, in compliance with all environmental permits at all times. The CRO must effectively communicate information to supervision and fellow plant personnel, relative to the condition of the plant equipment and performance, and provide suggestions for plant improvements. The CRO must perform duties in such a way to result in an optimum cost- benefit ratio.
• All employees have the responsibility to both the customer and their co-workers to do the job right the first time and to ensure the customer’s needs are being met.
• The CRO reports to the Operations Manager and provides work direction to, as well as performance oversight of, the PBOs. The CRO may also give direction to maintenance personnel on matters pertaining to plant operations.
• Physical requirements include: working on feet for 12 hour periods, requiring stair and ladder climbing; and routinely lifting 50 pounds. Protective equipment must be worn in the performance of some duties (e.g. hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, chemical suits, hot gloves and high voltage protective equipment, etc.). Work with hazardous materials may be required,
• Position requires extended working hours and varied shifts with weekend and holiday work, as required by schedules, work load and plant conditions. "On call" status will periodically be required.
• All employees will participate in the Fitness for Duty Program. This program includes a post- offer physical examination and drug screening and post-employment random drug screening. There are extensive smoking restrictions in and around the facility.
• Associate’s Degree in a technical field desirable.
• Minimum two years of experience as a Power Block Operator or equivalent position in an operating or generating plant required. Ability to understand procedures and instructions specific to the area of assignment as would be acquired in four years of high school.
• Must successfully complete the CRO qualification card.
• Must successfully complete a Mechanical Aptitude test and a Basic Mathematical test.
The statements contained in this job description are not necessarily all inclusive; additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here
Last verified - 1 day(s) 11 hour(s) ago [What does Last Verified mean?]